What is Egg Donation?
Egg transplant, also known as egg donation, is a method that allows women who do not have egg development for any reason to move. It is a kind of in vitro fertilization method that enables women who do not have egg production due to genetic or different reasons, who have entered the menopause period, to become pregnant as a result of fertilization of the egg of another woman who is young, healthy and with egg production and the sperm of her husband. For a healthy baby to be formed, a healthy sperm cell, healthy egg cell and a healthy uterus must be found. If there is a deficiency or insufficiency in any of these, pregnancy is not possible. This deficiency may occur congenitally or later. If there is a deficiency in the egg cell from the three conditions mentioned above, in vitro fertilization with egg donation can be applied.
How is Egg Donation Performed?
Egg transplant application, physical characteristics, blood type, ethnicity and so on of the expectant mother. It is done by choosing a donor suitable for their characteristics. It is best prepared for in vitro fertilization by taking an egg from a healthy donor, ie an egg donor. The egg cells taken from the selected donor and the sperm taken from the father candidate are fertilized in the laboratory environment. When the embryos formed as a result of fertilization reach a certain size, they are transferred to the expectant mother and egg donation is performed.
How to Choose a Donor for Egg Donation?
Various physical, physical and spiritual factors are taken into consideration in the selection of donors for egg transplantation. Egg donors are selected between the ages of 19-26. The characteristics and tests performed in the donor to be selected for egg donation are as follows;
• The donor couple may be someone they know or do not know at all.
• There should be no mental retardation in family history.
• Should not use drugs.
• Skin color, eye color, body structure and ethnic origin should be as appropriate with the recipient family as possible.
• Infectious disease tests should come out clean.
• Psychologically, there should be no depression, anxiety or personality disorder.
• In intelligence tests, it should be normal and high level.
• It should be healthy in terms of genetic tests and blood cells.
• Should not have dominant physical characteristics, should have normal body measurements. In other words, overweight or thin, disproportionate facial features should not be present.
After looking at the above features, the recipient couple can choose the donor as they wish.
Who Can Be Applied To Egg Transplantation?
The majority of people who will undergo egg donation are women who do not have healthy egg production. However, other than this, egg donation can be applied upon request. Egg donation;
• Early menopause,
• Normal menopause,
Ovaries removed for different reasons by surgical operation,
Ovaries have lost their function as a result of treatments such as radiotherapy,
• Miscarriage due to unknown reasons,
• It can be applied to women who are not happy with their physical or mental characteristics.
Although donation can be applied to women up to the age of 70, it is not recommended by most doctors due to the risks of pregnancy and pregnancy over the age of 50.
Is Egg Donation Performed In Turkey?
Egg donation is not performed in Turkey. It does not apply because it is legally prohibited in Turkey. For this reason, families who want to have egg donation are looking for the solution abroad. The country that has recently come to the fore for egg donation is Cyprus. The countries that stand out after Cyprus are; Greece, Spain, Belgium, America and England.
Important Information About Egg Donation
The most important point about egg transplantation is the family of the child who will be born. Therefore, all responsibility for the child is on the buyer couple. Except this;
• Egg donation and the information of the recipient family are kept confidential.
• Risks arising from donation may occur during the application.
• There is no surgical risk as egg is not collected from the recipient during egg transplantation.
• As in all screening tests, there is a risk of infection in screening tests.
• Characteristics and information about donors, apart from personal and identity information, are shared with the recipient family.
• Egg donation application is one of the very successful methods for having a child.